Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Onion Pakoda

Who doesn’t like fried items? I know too much oil… fat…. cholesterol etc etc. I think it’s ok to have it once in a while when they are made delicious!! This is one of my dad’s favorite. My Dad always asked me to make onion pakoda for him. He likes to eat with his mixture and puffed rice, which we call it “khara Mandakki”. My dad now says that he misses my onion pakoda and says mom doesn’t do that well.:) Well, I know that’s a lie, as I learnt this to make from my mom.



After coming here, this has become a famous appetizer, which I generally make during our potlucks and most of you have already enjoyed and appreciated it. I am glad that it turns out well every time I make them. I think key ingredient for this is dill and also they way you mix the besan with onions.

Here you go with the recipe…. Perfect for winter!!!!!

Ingredients:

1 big onion cut into slices
6 finely chopped green chilies
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 cup finely chopped dill (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
1/2 teaspoon rice flour
3 to 4 teaspoon besan/gram flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water to mix
Oil to deep fry

- In a medium size-mixing bowl, add onions, green chilies, cilantro, dill, and cumin seeds.
- Mix it well with rice flour, now add 1 spoon of besan at a time and start mixing it. Sprinkle little water a little and make sure you don’t add too much water or too much besan. Onions contains water, so after sometime it leaves out water.
- The mixture should be thick and you should see more of onions and battered with besan.
- Add salt and mix it well.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and start putting the mixture in oil one by one.
- Just drop it in oil and it will get the shape of the onion.
- Fry it until turned golden brown.
- Make sure you take them out on paper towel to take out oil.

Serve it hot with tomato ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment