Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Alu Gobi

Yet another Punjabi dish which is very popular in North India. Alu Gobi can be made in two varieties that is dry or with gravy. I like dry the most. I tried this for the first time in my kitchen after eating it in one of my close Punjabi friend’s house. P cooks awesome Alu Gobi and I tried to follow her recipe.


Once I had been to P’s house and she was about to make Alu gobi. I said wow, I like it! And I helped her cutting gobi and alu. I learnt the whole process of making alu gobi watching her.  Sometimes it’s good to watch someone making the dish rather than trying all by yourself with a recipe from the Internet. The key when you are making alu gobi dry is you got to cook it in low flame and keep stirring it every two minutes.

I love going to her place as I get to eat her tasty alu gobi and play with her lovely kids, whom I basically call my kids!! :)


Ingredients:

1 cup of Gobi cut into chunks
1 cup of Potatoes cut into cubes
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon mango powder
1 finely chopped tomatoes
1 finely chopped onion
2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 finely chopped green chilies
5 curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of oil
Pinch of asafetida
1 small cup finely chopped cilantro

-       Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard, cumin seeds and once they splutter add curry leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic and asafetida. Sauté it for 1 minute.
-       Add onions and fry until they are golden brown add turmeric powder and add tomatoes and mix well and close the lid. Let it cook in low flame for 2 minutes.
-       Now in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons of water add coriander, red chili, mango powder and salt. Mix it well and add the mixture of water into the pan. (To avoid the masala getting burnt, I mix it with water)
-       Cook until the oil gets separated.
-       Now add the potatoes and gobi and mix well.
-       Don’t add water, as Alu gobi is tasty if it is dry. Close the lid and cook it in low flame.
-       Keep sautéing every 2 minutes so that it doesn’t get stuck to pan.
-       Once done, garnish with cilantro.


Serve it hot with chapatti



No comments:

Post a Comment