Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Vegetable Soup


I have to tell you all that I make this soup very often these days. As it is very easy to make and I never run out of any item required for this soup. I really don’t know how usually the regular vegetable soup is made. But this one is my all time favorite as I learnt it from a dear friend of mine.

One day I was on his doorstep and I could smell nice aroma of the spices, mint, and garlic. I was there just for few minutes to drop off few things and not intended to go into the house.

But the greedy chef in me was dying to know what was cooking in his kitchen ;). Slowly with my nose raised and eyebrows joined I asked him what is that smell? Poor guy thought the smell was bad. I should have asked him nice aroma, what are you cooking? ;) I must say he is such a sweet heart, he said that he was making vegetable and black beans soup with mint leaves from their backyard. He also offered me soup to taste. I was not hesitant and said yeah sure. Yummy!!! it was so good and I asked him how did you make it. He was very happy to share the recipe and I didn’t waste any time to make the soup for the next day dinner. It turned out pretty good. Many thanks to you “SB” :)

Ingredients:

1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 cup tomato cut into small cubes
1 cup potatoes cut into small cubes
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup mushrooms cut into chunks
1 cup broccoli cut into chunks
1 thinly sliced onion
1 cup black beans
2 teaspoons garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 mint leaves
5 curry leaves
2 green chilies
1 small cup finely chopped cilantro
4 cups of water
2 teaspoons of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of asafetida
        
- Soak black beans overnight and cook it with pinch of salt. Keep it aside. OR canned black beans also can be used.
- Heat a deep pan with oil, add mustard, curry leaves, garlic, asafetida and green chilies. Sauté for a minute.
- Add onions and fry until they are cooked.
- Add all the veggies and mix well. Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the cooked black beans along with the stock or canned black beans after washing it thoroughly.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, coriander powder and water. Mix well and bring it to boil.
- Add sugar, lemon juice and mint leaves and keep stirring.
- Add cilantro at the end.

Serve it hot…. ummmm yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment