Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Toor dal Kadabu

Ganesha Festival is very popular festival in India. We worship Lord Ganesha and offer him variety of food. I tried to make Ganesha’s favorite kadabu. Well in the name of GOD we get to eat all the dishes I make on this day. I always watched mom making this kadabu and I used to love this sweet and used to wait for this festival. It is made only during this festival.


This time I am missing home and mom so much. I couldn’t resist myself in trying making this kadabu for the first time. I took good amount of effort, time and patience to do this sweet. Trust me it was all worth, kadabu came out just like my mom used to make. Although her love and touch was missing… :(. She taught me how to make this over the phone and I followed it step by step.

I am very eager to share the recipe with you all and hoping you find this interesting and try it in your kitchen!!

Ingredients:

1 cup toor dal
2 cups of jaggery
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cardamom
Oil to deep fry
1 cup Maida or All purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup water

-       First mix maida or all-purpose flour with pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon oil and water. Make soft dough like chapatti dough and keep it aside.
-       Cook toor dal in big kadai with 3 cups of water and turmeric powder. Once dal is getting cooked remove the stock to a container, which can be used to make rasam/soup
-       Add jaggery and mix well. Jaggery will melt with dal.
-       Add cardamom and stir well.
-       Turn off the heat and once it cools down, grind it in blender and make it fine paste.
-       Don’t add additional water. The paste should be harder so that it will easy to do the filling.
-       Once the paste is ready, keep it aside in a bowl.
-       Make small circular shapes from the dough (similar like puri)
-       Place the jaggery paste in the middle and close it either side by pressing the sides.
-       Make 5 at a time and keep it aside.
-       Heat the oil in deep frying pan and deep-fry one by one.

Serve it hot with ghee.

No comments:

Post a Comment