Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eggplant and Potato Curry

As kid I never liked eggplant. Even though mom used to make some of the spiciest eggplant dishes, I never used to fancy eggplant. As I grew up I started liking eggplant, mostly I can say when I started cooking and experimenting with eggplants; and trust me eggplant is one vegetable that has variety of delicious recipes.

One such recipe taught by my MIL is with eggplant and potatoes. For this particular curry using long green eggplants, which can be found in Indian stores makes it tastier. But the day I made it, I couldn’t find the long eggplants. So managed to make it with round eggplant and it turned out to be pretty decent :)

Eggplants get cooked pretty fast, so make sure you don’t over cook them. This is one of V’s favorite curries. And it goes well with rice flour roti, chapathi or best with Idli’s. I do this often, as it is easy and quick.





Here you go with the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 Long green eggplants cute into cubes
2 potatoes cut into cubes
2 tomatoes cut into cubes
1 onion thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
3 red chilies
8 curry leaves
1 cup cilantro
1 cup freshly grated coconut
1/4 teaspoon of tamarind extract
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 teaspoons of sambar powder
1/4 teaspoon of mustard
2 teaspoons of fried gram
3 teaspoons of oil

-Grind coconut, cilantro, and fried gram and make it fine paste.
-Cook potatoes separately. (don’t over cook)
-Heat a pan with oil, add mustard; once they splutter add red chilies, garlic, and curry leaves and onion. Roast until turn golden brown.
-Add eggplant, cooked potatoes, sambar powder, tamarind and sugar.
-Add the paste to it and little water and mix well.
-When it starts boiling, add tomato and salt at the end.

Serve it with hot roti’s or chapathi’s

2 comments:

  1. Easy recipe as sambhar powder has all the spices in it. I liked the idea of adding tamarind and sugar in the curry.

    ReplyDelete