Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Simple Spinach Dhal

It’s been a long time, I made anything with spinach. I remember in Bangalore whenever my mom used to take spinach from the vendor. I used to avoid going into the kitchen. Guess why!!! Mom would ask my help to clean and chop it. My god I hated that part, as it would be muddy and mixed up with some other greens.

Well one thing I love being here is vegetables are so fresh and especially spinach is very clean and I wash it once, it will be ready to use!! This is one simple and quick dish that I make which goes well with rice or chapatti. I make chapatti almost every alternative day and I have to make a different curry to go with it.

Ingredients:

1 bunch of spinach finely chopped
1/2 cup Dhal (Moong or Toor Dal)
2 green chilies
2 red chilies
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
6 curry leaves
4 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch of turmeric powder
Pinch of asafetida

-       Cook dal along with green chilies and keep it aside.
-       Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard, cumin and curry leaves. Once they splutter add red chilies, garlic, turmeric and asafetida.
-       Add spinach and mix well.
-       Spinach cooks pretty fast, then add cooked dal and mix well.
-       Add salt and lemon juice at the end.
-       Cook for 2- 3 minutes.

Serve it hot with rice or chapatti.

No comments:

Post a Comment